It is Saturday night and I cannot go to sleep. I just finished my last exam, for my last course, for my Master’s of Christian Education! I am so glad to be done and relieved that I could finish before things really got going at a fast pace here in Malawi. I have finished two weeks of lesson planning which includes making copies of all handouts for those two weeks. I still have to prepare for the two college courses I am teaching but I had some help from a professor, Larry Brown, who has taught at ABC for 17 years now.
Larry had us over for dinner last night and it was great getting to talk to someone with so much experience in Malawi and at ABC specifically. He told us about the development of ABC and how it has grown and progressed through the years. He also talked about the growth of Lilongwe over the past 17 years as well. We are definitely spoiled compared to when ABC first opened in Malawi in the early 90s. I read a quote by David Livingstone (the pioneer missionary to Africa in the 1800s) that said, “I never made a sacrifice.” It made me think about how even though I have left the comforts of the States, I am not “roughing it” by an stretch of the imagination. How crazy would it have been to leave 1800s England, like Livingstone, and come to Africa where you knew that zero modern conveniences existed. It is not like that anymore. One of the things that I have “complained” about is how hard it is to find a car. Most Malawians do not have cars and it is something I feel like I cannot live without. Malawi does not have car dealerships for used cars. The new Toyota Rav 4 is $46,000 so unless that money drops out of the sky we will be buying a used car from someone. The trouble is finding one that has not been run into the ground. Anyway, it is interesting what I can find to complain about compared to the missionaries who have and are going to places that have no modern conveniences.
I love being in Malawi and having the opportunity to make disciples who will go out and make more disciples. I cannot wait for the school year to start as I will get to meet many middle school students as well as the college students. Pray that the college students will be transformed by God to change Malawi and all of Africa through the gospel of Christ! Thank you for praying for us and supporting us!
Because of Jesus,
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment