We’ve arrived in Malawi! We’re jet lagged, happy, and so excited to be here. Once we arrived on campus we were greeted by Becky Epperson (the other American nurse here) and Dan “Rumble” Trumble. We settled in our house (yay there were no bugs) then had dinner at the Chinchen’s house. It was wonderful! Dan & his wife Beth brought Jeff and I some groceries, since we had no food in our house. We were so thankful, because we had ZERO food to eat for breakfast the next morning. After a short nights sleep, I woke up and was ready to tour/help Becky around the clinic at 830am! We cleaned out a closet that had tons of OLD equipment because we have to get the clinic ready for renovation. We’re getting a lot of radiology equipment, a new ultrasound, xray, MRI machine (that I know of right now). A local Jewish business man is purchasing the radiology equipment and wants it placed at our facility. So, the next couple of weeks are going to be spent getting the different buildings cleaned out and ready for the arrival of new doctors and renovations. Some of the equipment in the various closets we have to clean out is donated stuff that people used in the Vietnam war! Later that day we went with Ashley Chinchen to go grocery shopping, since around here you don’t go to one place for groceries. Ashley gave us a crash course on the market, and told us the best places to buy certain items. All in all we went to about 5 different stores PLUS the market.
By the way, this is what the airplane toothbrushes looked like. Don't they look like tampons?
We went to Momma Mia’s that night for dinner because people from Whittier Area Church (who built the pediatric ward) are here to see the updates on the clinic. The next day Becky and I went to Partners in Hope, which is a hospital across town that Becky works at 2 days a week. They have the same set up as the ABC clinic, but they have quite a few doctors. While we were there, we transfused 3 units of whole blood on a lady that has leukemia. Oh, and we transfused her with NO IV PUMP! That is unheard of in the states. The lady also brought her own special needle because she has a port to access to transfuse. So basically, she brings her own supplies and Becky (and now me) is her personal nurse. After the transfusion was complete (about 5 hrs later) Becky took me to the stores so I could get groceries. It was fun yet hard, but Becky is an angel and was patient with all my stupid questions. Basically I spent around $70 and that was just food to last us about 4 days!
Nora
Me and Meshach, I didn't feed him, but he was so sweet
Beth and I don't know what baby
After all that we went to the Crisis Nursery Center. The babies were so cute, and when we entered (barefooted, they like you to take your shoes off before going inside) the ladies that take care of them started bringing the crying kiddos to us to feed. Dinnertime starts at 430, and we had arrived just in time to feed kids. The first kiddo I fed was Nora, and I swear she was ADD, because she just wanted to play with my bracelets instead of eat. So we would play, then I’d attempt to feed her. I was awful at feeding her, (no mom skills) and she only ended up eating half of her food. Becky, Beth, and Kimmie were champs and fed their babies their entire bowls every time. That’s sad, even Kimmie has mom skills (she’s like 10) and I don’t have any. After that I fed Justina, then Meshach was placed in front of me. He was my favorite out of all of them. He just smiled at me while I fed Justina and when I was done I held him the rest of the time. While we were at the nursery a 2-day-old baby was brought in from a village. His mother had died, and in Malawi if the mother dies, the baby is doomed for death since there is no formula here. The baby was incredibly tiny, and the ladies that work at the Crisis Center were so sweet to her. It was hard to leave the kiddos, but we had to leave at around 6 because it gets dark early here since it’s winter.So today, we had a catch up on sleep day. We slept in, then went to the Chinese market, and some other street markets where I got a wrap (skirt) and some food. I also bought a hair dryer at Shoprite since mine doesn’t work here. I mean, I know we’re in Africa and what does it really matter what your hair looks like right? But I don’t want to become a Duggar already! We ate pasta (again) for dinner, and are about to go to bed. We’re so excited to be here, and can’t wait for this next week. Jeff starts stuff at the Academy on Monday morning, so we’re about to both be SUPER busy. We will try to post regularly, assuming the power stays on! LOVE-Carson
5 comments:
Hey guys, its Avey Cakes!! Thanks so much for the updates, mom started crying when she read it, we are so proud of you guys. Aunt Carson, we've been praying for you and the transition away from Bailey and your mom & dad. Uncle Jeff, for your strength to lead & love Aunt Carson well during this time.
Aunt Carson, you are a liar! You having amazing mom skills, i know first hand. You better adopt a Meshach and bring him home to us! We love you guys!! Send mom a list of things you need we're sure you've thought of some things. Love you. .
oh i forgot to say, loved the comment about the Duggars :) ha ha
hit the ground running i see! praying for you guys, for abc, and everyone you come in contact with.
Hi! Sounds like ya'll are busy already. I love hearing about what you are doing. Carson, Meshach is adorable. I can see why he was your favorite. Love you both!
wow!This just makes my heart fall down to my feet. Very proud of ya'll. I'm praying.
Post a Comment