To keep everyone safe, information disclosed, but to inform
you of the recent happenings I’m proud to announce GOD ANSWERED OUR PRAYERS!
After a few discussions, three trips out to the community,
answering some hard questions, and some wise advice, we now have Esime in our
home! If you were not aware, Esime is the baby I posted a picture of and have
taken care of medically since she arrived at Crisis Nursery at 3 weeks old
& 1.9kgs! When Esime would get really sick
we’d keep her at the clinic on IV drips and Jeff and I would help take care of
her.
So, to backtrack for a minute, Esime left Crisis Nursery
late May. One day Jeff and I went to visit her and she was gone. Her family had
requested she come home and she was just….gone. I struggled for a while
wondering if she was ok, was someone loving her, did she have enough to eat,
did she know we didn’t abandon her. But then, after praying, crying, grieving,
and asking for forgiveness I had given up on Esime. I hate to say that it only
took a few months for me to do so, but it was the way I guarded my heart. I
continued praying for her but in my heart had given up hope that she’d be ours.
Then, in August, I was able to go with Jeff and Grace and
Crisis to visit her in the community. After that visit some things happened
that made us believe the family couldn’t care for her. Long story short, we
went back to visit 2 more times and Esime was placed in our home with the
consent of the social worker. This social worker is literally the reason I know
God’s hand has completely been on this situation. If any of you know the
grumblings we’ve expressed about some of the social worker system in Malawi,
then you know why. We were able to meet Esime’s aunt and uncle that have been
caring for her, her biological sister with her baby, the grandmother, and
countless other chiefs, uncles, cousins etc.
On the drive home I wouldn’t let go of Esime. I guess she
was overwhelmed but she fell right asleep and I just held her the entire way.
When we arrived home, Grace and I decided it’d be best to shave her head since
her hair was damaged badly. Well, in the process of the shaving we found she
had….LICE! YIKES! I just knew I’d have it. My main concern was that Hollis
didn’t get it so we wouldn’t have to shave his beautiful locks we’ve been
working on for months now.
After cleaning/quarantining everything Esime had touched, we
bathed her, fed her, and just stared at her in awe. I took her to be checked by
Dr. Young at the clinic and she turned out fine. She was underweight but we
knew that with some good consistent nutrition she’d grow in no time. Es did
have some transitional diarrhea, but overall her health improved.
Since pictures speak louder than words, I’ll let the
pictures show you HOW excited we were, how Esime knew she was back with her
“family”, and how excited Hollis was to have his “Ehm-mi-me” back.
 |
| Picture from the first trip to see Es |
 |
| LOVE that bald head |
 |
| She's obsessed with doors...closing, opening, it doesn't matter, she's entertained |
 |
| Hollis hoarding his toys |
 |
| admit it, you love her hairstyle... |
 |
| after eating, prior to head shaving |
 |
| AH! LICE!! |
 |
| "but I like my crazy hair!" |
 |
| Hollis wouldn't stop kissing her |
 |
| DIVA! |
No comments:
Post a Comment