In early December Crisis nursery had received another baby from a family about an hour from Lilongwe. The baby was tiny (2kg or 4.4lbs), and the 7th born in the family. The mother died from post partum hemorrhage (a VERY common thing in Malawi) and the father was too overwhelmed/couldn’t care for this baby as well as the 5 others at home (the 6th born died from HIV complications at 2 years of age). Upon receiving the child at Crisis, the director (Mwawi) called me to come get Esime. She was very concerned because Esime had a rattly chest and was breathing very rapidly, as well as being malnourished. I brought her to Tiyamike (our children’s ward) and Dr. Young assessed her. She was placed on strict feeds and antibiotic injections. Esime thrived and grew very quickly. She was only at our ward for about 2 weeks, which looking back on it now was incredible. These kids that are brought to our ward are simply amazing. Becky, Dr. Young and I always say how astounding it is that these kids can thrive when all the odds are against them. It’s moments like these that remind me of how powerful God is, and how there’s no earthly explanation of why these kids thrive. It is simply the work of Christ. That is why I really like our motto at the clinic, “We Treat, God Heals”. It couldn’t be more evident than in these kids. I’ll be posting a recent picture of Esime soon, you won’t believe how big she is now!
It’s ALL about Jesus,
-Carson-
 |
| Gosh, she's just huge, isn't she? NOT! |
 |
| TINY! |
 |
| I think she was tired of me taking pictures at this point |
 |
| I think she's saying, "enough already!" |
No comments:
Post a Comment