Since last Saturday, April 2, there has been a fuel shortage in Malawi. Friday I got out of school at 1:10 and went to sit in a line of cars waiting for fuel. The tanker had not actually dropped the fuel off yet because the tanker was not in Lilongwe. I waited about 2 hours before the tanker arrived with the fuel. Once the line started moving I was thinking it would not take very long. I was wrong! Once I got close to the front, I realized they were letting people with all types of bottles and cans get in line to get fuel as well. As far a I know that is actually illegal in Malawi when there is a fuel shortage. Then they were letting cars in 2 different entrances which created an even bigger problem with traffic flow. I finally got to the front and heard they were only allowing people to fill up with 5,000 kwacha (about $30) worth of fuel but we were on empty and needed about 10,000 kwacha. I started talking to the manager about 3 cars from the pump and asked him how much I could have. He asked how much I needed so I told him, “10,000K.” He talked to me until it was my turn and filled me up! I took a few books to read while waiting and I am glad I did because I sat in line from 1:30-6:10. I was actually never frustrated or mad because I went in thankful that fuel was even available. Pray that the fuel problem ends soon as it is still not readily available!
Because of Jesus,
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment