Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Zikomo-giving


Zikomo is thanks in Chichewa. Actually, zikomo can mean a lot of other things as well, but it’s the word used for thank you. Anyway, this Thanksgiving was fun, different, and memorable. We had most of the “normal” American foods. We even had sweet potato casserole (my favorite!). Initially I was kinda bummed because I wanted sweet potato casserole, but sweet potatoes weren’t in season during Thanksgiving. BUT momma Dehnert is smart and put some sweet potatoes in her freezer to have to make sweet potato casserole to share with everyone for Thanksgiving. Turkey, dressing, veggies etc were all served. Of course, there was pie. Lots and lots of desserts were available, and the most coveted dessert was the pumpkin pie Becca Hiroto made. When it was time to serve dessert everyone rushed to the table to get a small slice of her pumpkin pie. Becca was smart and had some pumpkin puree from the States shipped, so the pie was not only good, it tasted like home. I tried to make pecan pie with the pecans the Franklin’s sent us, but I didn’t have corn starch, so I kind of made pecan pie/pecan mush. Either way, it was tasty and it too tasted like home.

Also, Chisomo had been improving so well he was able to attend Thanksgiving dinner! Becky and her family are fostering to adopt him (after all the crazy paperwork goes through) so below are some of the pictures of him. He looked 10 times better than when we had rescued him only 2 weeks prior to that! He was the center of attention, and he loved every minute of it!

So this is my catch-up post #2.  I hope to be caught up to present day soon!

Carson
Yes, I was a LITTLE over enthusiastic about the sweet potato casserole. Thanks momma Dehnert!

Chisomo and Jeff at Thanksgiving dinner

He is such a ham!

Chisomo playing with Becca and Kellen

I couldn't post this picture in my last post because the internet was too slow to upload the picture, BUT this is the picture of the things the lady heaved up. The rock was not in that paper we just placed it in there for the picture. But the note was ripped up, and that is the red string that was tied around the woman's abdomen.

No comments: