Mphambano, which means “at a crossroads,” was taken to Crisis Nursey after his grandmother ran to Mwawi ( the director) and begged her to take her grandchild. She was taking care of him and the 3 other brothers and sisters that are still alive out of 8 total children in Mphambano’s family. Mphambano (Pablo as we like to call him) was 5kgs (11lbs) at 18 months of age. His hair was almost blond and brittle from being malnourished and he was lethargic. His little body looked like a 6 month olds, but he had a full set of teeth on the top and bottom, which gave him a beaver appearance. A few days after he arrived at Crisis Nursery Becky Epperson (nurse from Washington and is the medical director of the clinic) and I took a group from WAC Church to see the kids at Crisis. When the group saw Pablo they were instantly moved and horrified at his story. He was lethargic still and would eat any and everything you put in front of him. The group passed him around, and while I was answering questions and explaining the system at Crisis, I instantly fell in love with Pablo. His face and eyes were sad and I wanted to hold him and tell him everything would be ok.
After passing him from person to person I was able to hold Pablo. Our time at Crisis was short so we took the group back. A few days later I called Mwawi to check on Pablo and offered to take him a while to help rehabilitate him nutritionally. Trying to care for a malnourished child and care for other kids in the room is time consuming and exhausting for one nanny to handle, so I offered. She said he was ok for the time being but she would call the minute she needed help. A few days later while visiting Crisis I noticed Pablo had a really high fever and was not eating normally. We took his temperature and it was 103 Fahrenheit. I took him to the clinic and did a malaria test which was positive. Pablo stayed with us in our house and I monitored him constantly while giving him his malaria medicine daily. After a few days he was healthy and went back to Crisis Nursery.
Two weeks later I received a call from Mwawi that she thought Pablo had malaria again. Another trip to the clinic, a poke on the finger and a positive test later Pablo was being treated for malaria a second time in one month. This time, he stayed at our house one week longer than needed to ensure he didn’t have malaria again. When taking him back to Crisis he screamed bloody murder. Jeff tries to get out of taking the kids back to Crisis after they’re healthy enough to return for this very reason. The screaming is unbearable.
After discussion and bucket loads of prayer we decided to pursue fostering to adopt Pablo. We spoke with Mwawi and set a date to visit the family. A month later (and after some intense petrol searching) we were able to go to his village and speak with the family members. Pablo’s grandmother said if Pablo didn’t live with someone else he would die. The father was summoned and he agreed with the grandmother’s statement. The village headman was summoned and he agreed. I don’t know how to convey what a miracle it was to receive 3 “yes’” but it’s a pure act from Christ. I have heard plenty of stories about people inquiring about children in Malawi and usually someone in the family resists and it’s a bit of a battle. We received all yes’ and had the family members and the village headman sign the fostering paperwork. We brought Pablo home that very day, November 22, and we were so happy we cried. It took little to no time for Pablo to adjust to his new environment and eating regiment. We have seen him grow exponentially since he’s stepped foot in our home. From barely putting weight on his knees to pulling up on any and everything he continues to amaze us with his progress.
One mountain we will have to climb is attempting to get a birth certificate so he can get a passport. Pablo was born on his way to the hospital, which is where his mother died as well. Therefore he was not born in a facility where they issue birth certificates. Please pray for us as we figure out the steps and procedures in obtaining this vital document. Also, please pray for us as we go through this not so easy process of adopting. We have faith that everything will work out, but until I get that official paper that says his name with White as the surname I will be anxious. We hope to change Mphambano’s name but cannot do so until we have the official adoption paperwork from the courts of Malawi. We want to change his name from a negative meaning to a positive one.


6 comments:
Oh, Momma, there's nothing greater than seeing your child grow and experience life. Continued prayers and LOTS of love coming to you both!
Laura
We will be praying for your little man. With God on your team, I'm sure the paperwork will be no problem. He is one lucky little fella. Can't wait to one day meet this handsome guy. Love you three!! Thanks for the blog...beautiful pictures!! Blessings to you :)
ha! anonymous was me! Dede :)
Yeah! Ill be praying that all goes well. Sounds like God has it all under control. Tanya
Wow! What an amazing story! God definitely has plans for you guys and I will be praying for Pablo. He is adorable! There's nothing in the world like being a parent. Such a blessing!
Crystal
I am so very proud of both of you. You are truly an inspiration for others. Congratulations on your new son. I will continue praying for the paperwork to fall into place.
Post a Comment